Thursday 7 March 2013

WAUF… The Crumpet?


Why Aren't You Following... ? was conceived by Curly Polish as an attempt to help polishaholics put a face to the nails! Sometimes in our FB polish groups we don’t really connect those beautiful talons with the person behind them – often one who blogs! It is hoped that this series of posts will help polishaholics get to know new blogs and rediscover old ones by means of twelve succinct questions. Most of all, this series is designed to give a shout out to all the bloggers I admire the most – both big-time and small fry :-)


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the very first edition of WAUF! I'm so excited to start this feature and hope y'all enjoy it! Let’s get down to business - today I talk to Debbie of The Crumpet! :-)


Name: Debbie Crumpet


Since: Well, the blog started in February 2011, but the nail blogging didn’t start ‘til about the July of 2011.

GFC followers (at time of writing): 1,802 (called 'Crumpeteers'!!! Love it haha)

Signature bloggism: I don’t know! I don’t think I have a signature hand pose, but when I take my photos, I do cycle through about eight set “poses”. I do some swatching (mainly indies), some nail art and some stamping, and I’m a self-declared splodger. How would you recognise a Crumpet manicure? Either a stray bit of clean up I’ve missed or because it’s got purple or glitter in it!

Fav brand: This is such a hard question.  I don’t know that I have one fav. Currently I’m loving KIKO and I support Barry M dearly. Indie-wise, there’s just sooooo much to choose from.

Fav colour: Purple – duh lol. I’m also very partial to orange these days, and I can always squeeze in a good red or a calming blue.

Fav nail art technique
Splodging!!  Lol.  I like random art styles.  I love splatter manis, partly because you really have no idea what you’re going to end up with !

Fav blog: I admire lots of bloggers, and there’s lots who have inspired me. I pin all my favourite blogger manis to pinterest (link to Debbie's pinterest below). I guess Chalkboard Nails really stretched what I thought a nail blogger could do, and she is the holy grail for me – her standards are soooo high, whereas I’m more the “argh, that’ll do/no one will notice” girl!

Would still like to try: I’ve done most techniques, but there are still a few out there. I think more than anything I need to get BETTER – I’m not as precise with a brush as I would like to be, so much as I would like to be a one-stroke genius, that isn’t going to happen until I control my art brushes better.

One fact we may not know about you/your blog: That it wasn’t supposed to be a nail blog. EVER. It started life as an outlet for my writing, and I think I thought I would do random posts – opinion pieces, best ofs – and it would feel quite magazine-y. I think that’s why some of my non-polish pieces are so popular, because for me it’s mostly about the writing, and the nails are slooooowly catching up!

When not painting my nails you’ll find me... : Hhhhhmmm. I am at heart a bookworm. If I won the lottery, I would spend my days reading (in a shady hammock), writing, buying polish and eating extremely tasty but non-calorific food. I love my food, and music, and pretty things. Oh and stationery. And nice scents. I’m a Clinique Aromatics or lavender girl.

"The mani I'm proudest of... everything about it just worked."

Why I follow her: Debbie Crumpet is the matriarch of the polish world. She provides a haven for initiates to the colourful cult of polish, she's a guide for newbie bloggers, she's real - a nail blogger who isn't afraid to show some flaws - and she's got incredible artistic flair. Not only that, but she is funny and has the sort of blog you want to read; I'm pretty sure I've never just skipped through to look at photos on a Crumpet post! Finally, she loves one of my favourite nail colours (purple!) and has a marvellous collection of Crows Toes that I love to look at :-)


So tell me... why aren't you following The Crumpet?!


How to follow Debbie:

Tumblr: The1Crumpet
Twitter: @thecrumpet1

Debbie is also in charge of a ton of groups on FB, my fav being Crumpet's Nail Tarts.

Thanks for reading this week’s WAUF! Tune in this time next week for more blogger introductions :-)

‘Til next time :-)

- Skye x



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***Disclaimer***
These are not the only ladies I follow, or the only people whose blogs/nails I love. I don’t prefer any one of these blogs over the other because I like them all for different reasons. If you haven’t been contacted (yet), it doesn’t mean I don’t love you! Also: if you don’t have a blog but you have lovely nails, I may be in touch at some point, but I don’t know how to make an entire post about a non-blog right now :-) Finally, please remember that my preferences may be different to yours. This is meant to be a
fun series! I adhere to the Thumper principle: if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all. Keep smiling guys and girls :-) 

24 comments:

  1. OMG! Loved reading the whole interview thingy! can't wait to see who else you have!! keep it up :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY I'm so glad you liked it Nada :D There are some fantastic interviews coming up so I'm excited to share the rest of my material with you :) x

      Delete
  2. Great feature! I love the Crumpet! I love her style and her personality:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Essie :) I'm glad you like it! ^^

      Delete
  3. Love The Crumpet! Proud follower :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the feature and love Debbie too , :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne! I'm so happy people like it ^^

      Delete
  5. This was a great post Skye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ameerah! You're up soon muahahahaha :D x

      Delete
  6. All hail the Crumpet! Deb is awesome and THE most fantastic woman I have met in the nail community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, she's the most open-hearted, welcoming blogger I know! :) And she seems to run nearly every fun group haha :P

      Delete
  7. Love this series! So interesting. Can't wait to see future posts. I love this about Debbie's blog as well, she's so real and up front about her adventures (or misadventures!), sometimes it's frustrating looking at perfect nail polish blogs and not knowing how they did it so...perfectly. With her, she mentions the differences and I actually have noticed the improvement! Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandipa! And that's one of the things I love too - Debbie makes nail art and manicures such an inclusive hobby and she's one of the people whose posts I always read :) Stay tuned for other awesome bloggers in the future ^^

      Delete
  8. oh wow Skye .... Thank you soooooo much, I am so honoured to kick off your amazing series. I'm going to keep this post somewhere safe for those (frequent) days when I feel like the worst blogger in the world, with the dodgiest nail art and the crappiest photos :) Thank you xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh bless you, Debbie :) Can't you see we think you rock?! This is your little bit of internet proof hehe :) xxx

      Delete
  9. Amazing new addition to your blog!! I ♥ The Crumpet, and I agree I never skip to just the pictures on her blog either! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the concept, love the interview, this makes me love the nail blog world even more! Fab work ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you! I love that a ninja commented on my blog :D xx

      Delete
    2. Love Debbie! Such a fabulous blogger with a great of gold! I'm excited for this feature!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Kirsten, me too! :D

      Delete

Like my post? Have a question? Got a tip for me? Leave me a comment below! :-)